Countdown

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Budapest oh Budapest

The 25th brought us to one of my favorite cities, Budapest. I was here in 2005 and am somewhat familiar with getting around. The boat docked in a very convenient location. There was a tram stop right in front of where we docked and a block away from the large market. Our city tour took us to Hero's Square, Mount Gellert and the Citadel, Castle Hill where we visited Fisherman's Bastion, Matthias Church and viewed the Parliament Building for our wonderful vantage point. Did a little shopping with vendors along the short walk to the Citadel - Finally!!! Shopping up until now has been almost non-existent. And anyone who knows me knows I LOVE to shop.
Later in the afternoon I took Mom on a walking tour. We started at the large market, then walked along the main pedestrian shopping street, Vaci Utica, and then walked to the Great Synagogue for a tour. It was really cold but was so worth the walk. The Great Synagogue is the 2nd largest in the world next to the one in New York City. There are several mass graves in the courtyard of jews who died or were killed during World War II and beyond the courtyard is the Holocaust Memorial.
Later in the evening we attended a cultural performance on Castle Hill. It was on the order of Stomp but based on the history of Budapest. Was fabulous.
Day two in Budapest took us on an optional tour to Szentendre, an artist's village. We were able to do some shopping. Yes!!!!
The afternoon was free so I took off for St. Stephen's Cathedral. I had been there in 2005 and because it was my first trip with a digital camera, the photos were somewhat blurry. I wanted to retake some photos, visit "the shoes" along the bank and use the tram. "The shoes" were so moving. It was 39 pairs of shoes which represented 39 people who, just days before Budapest was freed during World War II, were taken to the bank of the Danube, told to remove their shoes, put all jewelry etc. in their shoes, and then they were shot. So hard to believe people could be so heartless.

No comments:

Post a Comment